Market Research

Discover the insights, data and key findings shaping our understanding of payments needs and preferences across the Canadian payments ecosystem to help focus our Modernization journey. International and National perspectives are explored. 

August 31, 2020
Published: August 31, 2020 Merchants believe Bitcoin will likely act as a core complement to traditional currency rather than a substitute, offering an alternative option for consumer and merchant investments, expense management, or lending... Read more about The Bitcoin Sentiment Tracker - Merchant Study
May 13, 2020
75 per cent of Canadians spending less than pre-pandemic; 62 per cent using less cash; 42 per cent avoid shopping at places that don’t accept contactless payments. New data from a Payments Canada study on payment trends during COVID-19 reveals some... Read more about COVID-19 payments trends
October 29, 2019
This year’s survey, which focuses on the payment trends, interests, and views of Canadian small businesses, revealed the majority of small businesses do fewer than 25 per cent of their transactions in cash but still feel obligated to accept it. The... Read more about Payments Pulse Survey: Small Business Edition
June 5, 2019
Payments Canada and CorbinPartners Inc today published The Bitcoin Sentiment Tracker, new research that explores Canadians’ perceptions and attitudes towards Bitcoin, one of the world’s most popular digital currencies. The research indicates that... Read more about The Bitcoin Sentiment Tracker - Consumer Study
May 13, 2019
The third annual Payments Pulse Survey: Consumer Edition explores the payment preferences of Canadians and the forces driving the movement for innovative payment methods. The study revealed significant generational insights into Millennials and... Read more about Payments Pulse Survey: Consumer Edition
August 7, 2018
The second annual Payments Pulse Survey: Consumer Edition delves into the payment preferences and priorities for Canadian consumers. This year, the survey was conducted in two phases. Phase 1 served as a pulse check on trends spotted in the 2017... Read more about Payments Pulse Survey: Consumer Edition
March 15, 2018
Of the over one million employer businesses in Canada, 99.7 per cent represent small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), leaving 0.3 per cent representing large businesses. As a key economic driver, Payments Canada decided to focus a survey... Read more about Payments Pulse Survey: Small Business Edition
February 6, 2018
Payments Canada / EY study begins to quantify benefits of payments modernization for business community OTTAWA, February 6, 2018 — The way Canadian businesses process payments costs them $2.9 to $6.5 billion annually, according to a new study by... Read more about Payments modernization could save businesses billions
May 9, 2017
As we progress through Modernization, it is important to regularly take the pulse on the attitudes and behaviours of Canadians regarding the increasing digitization of payment transactions. What is their level of adoption to date? How do they feel... Read more about Payments Pulse Survey